Can I Terminate My Obligation To Register as a Sex Offender in Massachusetts?

All convicted sex offenders who live, work, or go to school Massachusetts must enter into the sex offender registry. Under state and federal law, these registries contain public information that identifies those who have been convicted of a sexual offense, such as rape, sexual assault, sex with a minor, and molestation.

If you’re forced to register as a sex offender, your mug shots, current address, place of employment or school, registered vehicles, and other identifying information are posted online for all to see, which can significantly limit your ability to find a job or housing. However, with the help of an attorney, you may be able to terminate your registration obligation by filing a written motion with the Sex Offender Registry Board (SORB). Here’s what you need to know.

Sex Offender Registry Board

According to Massachusetts law, certain people required to register with the board may be eligible to terminate their obligation upon proof that:

  • They have not committed a sexual offense within 10 years following their conviction or release from custody (whichever occurs last)
  • They are not likely to pose a danger to the safety of others

While certain offenders may never terminate their obligation to register (including those convicted of a sexually violent offenses), termination is an option for others who wish to be relived of the burdensome sex offender registration requirement. If an application is sent to terminate one’s registration requirement, the SORB looks at various factors, including a person’s stability in life, their risk of reoffending, and their background and personal character.

Terminating your obligation to register as a sex offender is a difficult process, since there are rigorous requirements for removal. If you want to remove your name from a sex offender registry, you need to contact our Boston sex crimes attorney at Brad Bailey Law today. Our experienced criminal defense lawyer can follow the correct process and present the compelling case you need for a favorable outcome.

Contact us today by calling (617) 500-0252 or filling out our online form.

Related Posts
  • Is Sugaring Prostitution? Read More
  • Defending Against Title IX Sexual Misconduct Allegations Read More
  • Understanding Consent: Express vs. Implied Read More